Emergency appointments are sometimes required, even in the most efficient and carefully planned dental practices.
We offer emergency appointments for our patients experiencing severe discomfort or when they break a tooth or filling. We endeavour to see all of our regular patients who have a genuine emergency within 24 hours of calling us by:
- setting aside several time-slots each day only for emergencies;
- avoid double bookings of scheduled appointments and making slightly longer appointment times so that there is greater flexibility in the appointment book; and
- having two fully functional rooms so that we can, at least, alleviate the pain of our emergency patient until we can complete the procedure on the patient with the scheduled appointment time.
All these steps help us to accommodate for this extra level of care that we believe is so important for our patients in their time of greatest need.
Patients who regularly attend the surgery for regular check-ups will find that they are less likely to need emergency care because small problems are addressed early, and prevented from escalating into larger and time-consuming treatments. Most of the emergency time slots have been used to attend to:
- Patients who have prolonged their decision to remove infected wisdom teeth.
- Patients who delay proper treatment such as root canal therapy for teeth that have died, or crowns for teeth that are at risk of fracture from having large restorations or decay.
- New patients, usually referred by a family member or friend, usually for the above reasons.
To continue to provide this high level of service, we ask that our patients let us know, as soon possible, the moment they know they are unable to attend their scheduled appointment. This makes this appointment available for emergency appointments or available for other patients, who may need that particular appointment time.